San Luis Obispo Bicycle Accident Lawyers
Bicycle accidents are often caused by negligent motor vehicle operators who do not understand that bicyclists have the right to share the road with all other vehicles. An average bike weighs 20 to 30 pounds; a car weighs about 3,000 pounds. A fully loaded truck may weigh more than 80,000 pounds. When a car crashes into a bike, severe injuries or death may occur. If a motor vehicle crashes into a bicycle, the cyclist may experience severe injuries or death. Common bike accident injuries include:
- Brain injury
- Head injury
- Spine injury
- Multiple fractures
- Severe skin abrasion
- Catastrophic injury
The San Luis Obispo Ernst Law Group represents injured bicycle accident victims. If you were harmed in a bicycle accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries (see below). It is advisable to obtain the legal advice of an experienced, skilled bicycle accident attorney who will fight on your behalf to get you the compensation you need and deserve.
Bicycle Accident Causes:
Bicycle accidents are caused most often by motor vehicle driver negligence. Common causes include:
- Motor vehicle driver failure to yield right of way to bicyclist results in head on or broadside crash
- Motor vehicle makes left turn, cutting off forward-moving bicyclist, crashing or causing bicyclist to take evasive action – resulting in crash, wipeout, injuries
- Parked car door suddenly opens, causing bicyclist to crash into open car door or window; sometimes cyclist is thrown over the top of the car door as a result of the velocity and sudden stop
- Distracted driving – motor vehicle operator is distracted and does not see bicyclist, either crashing into bike and rider or causing the rider to take evasive action to avoid being struck. Either way, rider risks severe injuries
- Dog bite – bike rider may be chased and attacked by unleashed dog
- Rear end collision – motor vehicle driver crashes into bicyclist due to distraction, driver
- Poorly maintained roads – potholes, unfinished construction, road defects causes many bike accidents
Unfortunately, bicyclists are no match for cars, trucks and other motor vehicles. Cyclists learn to drive defensively and scan the area as they ride but motor vehicle negligence causes accidents and injuries.
Free Case Evaluation from San Luis Obispo Bike Accident Attorney:
The Ernst Law Group offers a free case evaluation so that you can ask the questions that will help you decide whether and how to proceed in your case. If you were injured in a bicycle accident that was caused by the negligence of a motor vehicle operator or another responsible party, you may seek compensation for:
- Medical costs – from the time of the accident onward
- Lost wages – past, present, future
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
- Other compensation, depending on your case
If a fatality resulted from a bicycle accident, the survivors may file a wrongful death lawsuit for compensation for damages. Of course, nothing can ever replace a loved one; compensation, however, can help you move forward during a most challenging period in your life. It is important to file your case within the statutory time; in California, generally, the statute of limitations for personal injury and wrongful death claims expires after two years. In certain cases the statute of limitations may be six months; check with your attorney – if you do not file your claim within the allotted time, you will be precluded from filing. The Ernst Law Group will pursue your personal injury or wrongful death claim on a contingency basis, which means that you do not have to pay any fees unless we win your case. For a free case evaluation with one of California’s premier law firms, contact the San Luis Obispo Ernst Law Group at (800) 541-0300. You may contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow us on social media.