In California, a victim of a hit and run accident resulting in injury may be entitled to compensation in a personal injury lawsuit if the accident was a result of the negligent actions of another. If the accident resulted in a fatality, the deceased’s relatives may file a wrongful death lawsuit for compensation. The Ernst Law Group has extensive experience successfully winning large case settlements for injured persons who have been harmed in hit and run and other accidents.
Why do Drivers “Hit and Run?”
It is illegal for a driver to flee after striking another person. A driver who strikes another vehicle, motorcyclist, bicyclist or pedestrian must immediately stop and obtain aid. It is human and considerate to render assistance to an injured party. Why, then, do drivers hit and run? There are several common reasons:
- Unlicensed driver – driver fears getting into more trouble for driving without a license
- Uninsured driver – driving illegally without insurance
- Person is without legal status to be in the country – may fear arrest, deportation
- Driver has criminal background – the hit and run driver may fear being discovered and identified by authorities because of a criminal background or may have a pending criminal case; may be “on the lam”
- Fear – sometimes a hit and run driver panics and flees due to fear
- Driver is under the influence of drugs or alcohol – either didn’t realize accident occurred or fearful of facing penalties
- Driver unaware of accident – in some cases the driver actually did not realize that another vehicle or pedestrian was struck
Whether a hit and run driver was aware they struck another vehicle or pedestrian or not, they are still responsible for their negligent actions. Drivers are criminally liable as well and may face years in prison, thousands of dollars in fines and loss of license. If you were struck by a vehicle that fled the scene of the accident, you may receive compensation in a personal injury or wrongful death claim.
Ernst Law Group Helps Hit and Run Victims Obtain Compensation for Injuries or Death:
A hit and run accident victim may file a lawsuit for compensation for damages, including:
- Medical expenses for past, current and future needs
- Lost wages – past, present and future
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage – vehicle repair or replacement
- Other compensation; in some cases punitive damages may apply
Call Today For a Free Consultation, No Up-Front Fees to Hit and Run Victims
Ernst Law Group is a plaintiff’s-rights law firm. They believe in helping the injured party. The hit and run driver needs to be held accountable for their actions. Damages will be calculated by consulting with medical experts, life planners and accountants; we consult with the top experts in each field. We will seek compensation from the insurance company; if we are not satisfied with the amount offered, the case may proceed to trial in order to get a verdict. If the driver has assets that may be attached, that will also be pursued – all in an effort to make the victim as whole again as possible. There are no upfront fees in contingency cases; we earn our money when we win your case.
What Our Clients Say About Us
“I could not be more satisfied with Ernst Law Group. Over the course of my case they were nothing but kind and friendly. When you’re in a situation where you need a lawyer it can be a very stressful time in your life.Samantha Spelman
Enough cannot be said for the amazing job done for us by the Ernst Law Group. Their compassion and dedication to ‘doing what is right’ makes them go above and beyond in all that they do. After spending time and money on other local attorneys, Don, Taylor and Terry were a blessing to us. They never backed down even though our case was a very unusual case. Thank you Ernst Law Group.Mary Barrett
Best personal injury and wrongful death attorneys available! The whole team is friendly, works very hard, is knowledgeable, and will do their best to take care of their clients. The Ernst team is the best around!Hannah W.