In the city of San Luis Obispo, a boating accident may be caused by boat maintenance problems and the owner of the boat may be held legally responsible due to any accidents caused by that neglect. Keeping a vessel in safe working order is important.
In order for a boat to be safe, all of its components and systems must be maintained regularly. This allows all parts to work as they were designed. Failure to perform routine maintenance can lead to an unsafe boating experience and injuries to victims. In the worst cases, a lack of routine maintenance can lead to an accident that results in death.
Some general maintenance tips from boating experts include:
- Keeping decks and hull clean and waxed.
- Cleaning and waxing aluminum and stainless steel parts.
- Ensuring that all bolts, screws and fittings are tight
- Changing the oil on a regular basis as recommended by the manufacturer
- Flushing the engine after operating on salt water
- Inspecting the vessel for signs of corrosion
- Checking for fluid leaks before every trip
- Checking pumps and impellers for proper condition
- Ensuring a proper number of life jackets and other safety gear
Routine maintenance is the responsibility of the vessel’s owner. When routine maintenance is neglected and an accident occurs, the victims have the right to seek compensation for medical bills, lost wages and more. Victims should seek the advice of an experienced attorney for more information on their legal rights for seeking compensation in civil court.