In 2019, there were 236 traffic deaths and 54,000 crashes. And in the last 5 years, LA has seen an increase of 32% in fatal crashes. And in 2019, 4,119 people died in accidents involving large trucks. Every year, truck accidents seriously injure other motorists in preventable collisions. These are often caused by driver error, poor business practices, or vehicle failure.
Truck accident injury victims may need years to recover financially and physically from the trauma of the accident, but having an experienced, compassionate attorney can help.
If you have been injured in a truck accident in Los Angeles, contact Ernst Law Group’s truck accident lawyers today. We will provide a free, no-obligation consultation to help you plan your next steps.
LA Truck Accident Statistics
California is repeatedly ranked as one of the top 10 states for truck accidents by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). Los Angeles sets the scene for more truck accidents than anywhere else in the state.
LA drivers need to be aware of the dangers of being a road companion with a commercial truck.
Important California truck accident statistics:
- There were 415,000 crashes reported to the police in 2015. One percent of these were fatal while 20% resulted in injuries.
- In the last 10 years, fatal truck accidents in California increased by 42 percent.
- On average, one person is killed every 40 hours in traffic accidents in Los Angeles County.
- California averages nearly 113 fatal truck accidents per year, with nearly 200-300 drivers dying from truck accidents.
- California’s most dangerous highways for truck accidents are the I-5, I-10, and I-75. These freeways each average over 1,000 truck accidents per year in California.
- Faulty tires account for 51.1% of mechanical causes for truck accidents.
- The LAPD stated that more than half of the crashes in 2019 (25,300) were categorized as hit-and-runs.
The City of Los Angeles has seen a rise in truck accidents and other major automobile accidents in recent years. The Department of Transportation found that car sales and registrations have been on the rise in California due to the improving economy and low gas prices. At the same time, hands-free technology is distracting drivers.
The LAPD reports that speed is the main factor in most Los Angeles automobile accidents. Drivers need to operate their vehicle at a safe speed or risk a collision due to impaired brake time.
How many deaths are caused by truck accidents each year?
The State of California reports that 200-300 deaths are caused by truck accidents every year.
This high statistic does not include the thousands of people who are injured every year in severe, long-lasting ways due to truck accidents. Many of these individuals cannot return to the way things were before their accident.
Nationally, more than 4,500 people die of truck accidents annually in the United States. Typically, the driver who suffered the fatality was not the truck driver but the person in the smaller vehicle.
This puts drivers at a higher risk when sharing the road with a truck.
Tips to Prevent a Truck Accident
You cannot always prevent a truck accident, but following these tips for driving around trucks in Los Angeles will decrease your chances of being involved in a truck accident:
- Avoid driving in the truck driver’s blind spots for prolonged periods of time.
- Keep a safe distance. Do not tailgate a truck.
- Do not pass a turning truck, as they may go wide or narrow through the turn.
- Obey all traffic laws.
- Do not cut off a truck. They may not be able to brake in time, leading to a rear-end accident.
- Remain alert.
- If you see a truck driver swerving or drifting between lanes, give them ample room. They may not be alert and could cause an accident.
- Report instances of impaired truck drivers that you encounter on the road if they are posing a threat.
Speak to a Skilled Los Angeles Truck Accident Lawyer Today
If you have been injured due to a truck driver’s negligence, it is in your best interest to file a claim as soon as possible with a Los Angeles truck accident lawyer. Trucking companies are quick to erase data and hire expensive legal teams to help protect them.
Truck accident cases are extremely challenging. Insurance companies don’t want to pay out the large sums that are required to help you overcome your financial and emotional losses as a result of the accident. They will fight harder than they would for a typical car accident case.
At Ernst Law Group, we know your rights and we’re determined to protect them. Our truck accident lawyers in Los Angeles are prepared to defend you today.
Call us at (310) 362-9008 to schedule a free consultation.
What Our Clients Say About Us
“I could not be more satisfied with Ernst Law Group. Over the course of my case they were nothing but kind and friendly. When you’re in a situation where you need a lawyer it can be a very stressful time…Samantha Spelman
“Enough cannot be said for the amazing job done for us by the Ernst Law Group. Their compassion and dedication to ‘doing what is right’ makes them go above and beyond in all that they do. After spending time and money on other local attorneys, Don, Taylor and Terry were a blessing to us. They never backed down even though our case was a very unusual case. Thank you Ernst Law Group.“Mary Barrett
“Best personal injury and wrongful death attorneys available! The whole team is friendly, works very hard, is knowledgeable, and will do their best to take care of their clients. The Ernst team is the best around!“Hannah W.