Los Angeles is notorious for its driving culture, especially its congested roads. Naturally, LA also has more car accidents than many other cities.
Every year, numerous drivers, pedestrians, and cyclists are injured or killed due to car accidents in Los Angeles County. Despite the city’s efforts to reduce traffic and improve roadways, accident statistics have continued to skyrocket.
In fact, LA has seen a massive rise in fatalities on the roads.
You or someone you know has likely been in an accident in Los Angeles. Ernst Law Group is here to represent you. We have a proven track record of success. Whether you were injured in a single or multi-vehicle accident, our car accident lawyers are here to ensure that your personal injuries are compensated.
Let us fight for your rights so you can focus on recovering.
LA Roadway Statistics
LA has some of the most congested roadways in the country. These have a large effect on car accident statistics.
- The worst car accidents take place during rush hour traffic. These predominantly occur on the I-5, I-10, and I-405 highways.
- Los Angeles was reported to have the worst traffic in the USA in 2016 by the LA Times.
- LA residents are stuck in over 100 hours of traffic per year.
- LA has more registered vehicles on the road than the majority of US states.
- LA is designed for vehicle traffic. It is not properly set up for pedestrian and cyclist traffic. However, it has a high number of pedestrians and cyclists.
LA Car Accident Statistics
To understand how dangerous Los Angeles county driving is, you only need to glance at the statistics. The city is regularly found to be one of the most dangerous and deadly areas to drive, cycle, or be a pedestrian due to the high collision and fatality rates.
- There are thousands of miles of poorly maintained roadways in Los Angeles county. According to the California Department of Transportation, Los Angeles has over 382 miles of freeways in need of maintenance.
- In 2016, LA had more than 55,000 car accidents. That was up from 46,500 in 2014. That’s a 20% increase in just two years. This number is projected to rise annually.
- On average, one person dies in an LA traffic accident every 40 hours.
- LA has had an increase in vehicles on the road every year, according to LADOT. This rise is likely due to low gas prices, cheaper cars, and a booming economy.
- Although pedestrian accidents only account for 14% of traffic wrecks, they account for one-third of all accident fatalities.
- Speeding is one of the highest causes of car accidents in Los Angeles. However, the LA Police Department released data showing that speed citations dropped from 100,000 in 2010 to 17,000 in 2015. It is speculated that the local speed radar laws prevent them from actually capturing perpetrators.
- In 2017, over 18,500 accidents were caused by excessive speeding.
- In 2017, over 7,000 car accidents in LA involved alcohol.
- Over 90% of accidents in LA are due to driver error.
What time do LA car accidents statistically happen?
The Annenberg School of Journalism did a study on car accidents in LA using the days of the week. According to their 2016 study, Monday is the safest day for driving. The highest number of traffic accidents occurred on Friday, with over 30,756 occurring during 2016. You are safer driving on the road on weekends than on weekdays in LA, with fewer accidents occurring daily than on any other weekday.
The study also examined times of day and their impact on accidents in LA. They found that traffic always increases between 4 and 6 pm. Friday at 4-6 pm is the most dangerous time to drive, with over 20% of the day’s accidents occurring during this period.
Clearly, individuals want to get home to start their weekends and are foregoing safe driving to do so. Sundays are the safest day to drive, especially if you do so outside of 4-6 pm.
Why You Need a Los Angeles Car Accident Lawyer
Have you been injured in a car crash in Los Angeles? Contact the car accident lawyers at Ernst Law Group. We will help you file a claim for damages so you don’t have to pay out of pocket for your injuries.
Let us get you the maximum compensation. Call Ernst Law Group today for a no-obligation consultation to find out how we can get you the money you deserve.
What Our Clients Say About Us
“I could not be more satisfied with Ernst Law Group. Over the course of my case they were nothing but kind and friendly. When you’re in a situation where you need a lawyer it can be a very stressful time…Samantha Spelman
“Enough cannot be said for the amazing job done for us by the Ernst Law Group. Their compassion and dedication to ‘doing what is right’ makes them go above and beyond in all that they do. After spending time and money on other local attorneys, Don, Taylor and Terry were a blessing to us. They never backed down even though our case was a very unusual case. Thank you Ernst Law Group.“Mary Barrett
“Best personal injury and wrongful death attorneys available! The whole team is friendly, works very hard, is knowledgeable, and will do their best to take care of their clients. The Ernst team is the best around!“Hannah W.