San Luis Obispo Elder Abuse Lawyers
One of the most egregious forms of abuse takes place every day in thousands of facilities and homes throughout the country, affecting our elderly loved ones. Elder abuse occurs wherever elders are cared for, including:
- Retirement facilities
- Nursing homes
- Long term care facilities
- Rehabilitation facilities
- In-home care providers
Elder abuse is the intentional or negligent mistreatment of elderly clients. The children and grandchildren of these beloved elders would never in a million years suspect that they placed them in harm’s way. Yet, there is an elder abuse epidemic in our country. Elder abuse includes:
- Physical assault
- Sexual assault
- Unreasonable physical constraint
- Prolonged deprivation of food and water
- Inappropriate use of a physical or chemical restrain or psychotropic medication
If you suspect that your elderly loved one or someone you know is being abused in a facility, immediately report it to the authorities. Facilities that are guilty of elder abuse may also be liable for damages for their negligent, reckless or intentional conduct. The Ernst Law Group is a plaintiff’s rights law firm. Your Ernst attorney will aggressively and fearlessly fight for your loved one to obtain the compensation that is deserved. Punitive damages will be sought wherever possible for this inexcusable behavior. Ernst Law Group seeks to make the guilty party pay for their actions.
Elder Abuse Neglect:
According to a report by the Office of the Attorney General of the State of California, neglect includes:
- Failure to assist in personal hygiene
- Failure to provide clothing and shelter
- Failure to provide medical care
- Failure to protect from health and safety hazards
- Failure to prevent malnutrition or dehydration
According to the same report, another form of elder abuse is known as financial abuse:
- “Financial abuse is the theft or embezzlement of money or any other property from an elder. It can be as simple as taking money from a wallet and as complex as manipulating a victim into turning over property to an abuser.”
- Warning signs include unusual bank account activities, including withdrawals from ATM’s when the individual cannot get to the bank.
- Signatures on checks and other documents that do not resemble the elder’s signature
- Checks signed when the elder cannot write or understand what he or she is signing.
The fact that elder abuse occurs is an absolute outrage. Wrongs of this nature must be repaired. If you suspect your elderly loved one is being subjected to elder abuse, it is up to you to take the action to help them. Additionally, you can seek damages for their misconduct in a civil lawsuit.
Compensation for Elder Abuse – Complimentary Case Evaluation; No Fees Unless We Win Your Case:
If you or a loved one was a victim of elder abuse, The Ernst Law Group will aggressively seek compensation for damages. Damages may be sought by the abused party or various family members. If the victim is no longer alive, certain members of the estate may file. Damages may include medical expenses, pain and suffering, loss of income and more. When the offenses are particularly egregious, punitive damages should be sought to punish the wrongdoers. Ernst Law Group has always protected the rights of the individual. Elder abuse is absolutely inexcusable and we will fight on your behalf to make the guilty party pay for their actions. Call the Ernst Law Group at 1-805-542-0300 or email us at email@example.com. There are no upfront fees; in a contingency fee arrangement our money is earned when we win your case.